I was’nt quite so sure what to think of men in dresses but J.W Anderson does and maybe we should pay closer attention.
Over the past few year’s men’s runway looks have become increasingly feminine. From make up, floral prints, skinny jeans and platforms. But nothing we havn’t seen before in the 70’s 80’s and beyond but that aside if we take one major designer out of the spectrum of gender neutral fashion designers it’s a whole lot tamer.
I am now ready to embrace and understand the significance of it all. While in the past year many critics have voiced there surprisingly like for the designers collection at fashion week 2013 and 2014 it really has pushed the boundaries of social normality.
The enterprising fashion genius has made what would usually be classed as women’s clothing is for men, including ruffles, dresses and skirts knee high boots. The S/S 2013 collection was well received and branded a stroke of creative mastermind.
When his 2014 collection came it was different from the last with leathers or neoprene tunics in black white and beige hues and bow details. It seems obvious the young designer doesn’t find the boy/girl thing challenging.
In a recent interview with Fabien Constant Anderson he expressed clearly that he believes it only to be a big deal because we make it one “were more backward than we’ve ever been”. He then goes on to defend his men’s dresses comparing them to the oversized rapper style t-shirt in relation to length so why is it unacceptable. He also explains he finds it confusing that a guy can be on a billboard in just underwear yet people make a bigger deal of his dresses for men. “Were uncomfortable with things we don’t understand” he said.
Andersons direction seems distinct he’s not willing to change it or let people make fun of it because he genuinely believes in breaking the traditions of gender coding and redefining the male image. And that is what he intends to continue doing.
- 8 Fashion Essentials for Winter (turnstyleconsign.com)
- Ifitdress.com Announces Its Special Offer On White Satin Wedding Dresses Today (prweb.com)
- Della Giovanna Launches Fall 2014 Collection of Edgy Bridal Gowns (prweb.com)
- UWDress Greets the New Season with Fresh Cheap Bridesmaid Dresses (prweb.com)
- Blonde + Ginger (@blondegingerUK) (fashionbyfossy.wordpress.com)
- Dressing a Regency Woman (philippajanekeyworth.wordpress.com)
- Fashion designer’s contribution in latest women’s clothing ranges (designerkapde.wordpress.com)
- Womens Clothes Buying Guide (walmart.com)
- Ryad Slimani Achieves a Wild Style for Grazia (thefashionisto.com)
- Short Essay – Is Dressing Like a Pig Part of Your Persona? (kqduane.com)